CHILLED SPANISH TOMATO SOUP – SALMOREJO
Nutritional values per serving:
calories 623, protein 13g, fat 40g (saturated 6.6g), carbs 28g (sugar 10g), sodium 947mg
- 300g very ripe vine tomatoes
- 2 Romano peppers, halved & deseede
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 75g baguette, inside only – no crust
- 1 tbsp (15ml) Spanish sherry vinegar
- 80ml Spanish extra virgin olive oil
- 1 egg, hardboiled & chopped
- 2 slices Serrano ham (or Prosciutto), sliced into thin strips
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Have ready another bowl with chilled water and ice. Cut a small cross in the bottom of each tomato. Scald the tomatoes in the hot water for 30-60 seconds. Remove and plunge in the iced water. When cool enough to handle peel off the skin. Cut in half and remove the seeds.
- Add the tomatoes to a stand blender and whiz on high for a few minutes. Add the Romano peppers and garlic and blend until smooth.
- Add the bread and let soak for 5 minutes. Add the vinegar. On high setting, slowly drizzle in the olive oil and blend until emulsified. Taste and season with salt and pepper if needed. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Serve garnished with a swirl of olive oil, chopped egg and Serrano ham strips.
ABOUT PAUL WALLACE Personal trainer of 15 plus years and creator of FT-Fit one of Glasgow’s largest fitness classes
For other ideas also try BBC good food